Why I’m Going to #OccupyVancouver

I might not stay all day.

Actually, I might just stay a couple of hours.

I’ve never been an activist. I was actually kind of apathetic during my undergrad (and who has time in grad school?). None of the causes touched me, I didn’t feel I had any power.

I wrote a comment on VanCityBuzz yesterday that sums up my feelings about this:

It’s not about who makes money and who doesn’t. It’s about how the 1% richest people hold the fate of the other 99% in their hands.

No matter how hard you work, no matter how much you avoid credit and no matter how much education you have, if you’re not part of that clique, you’re at risk of losing your job at the smallest whim or working 2 or 3 of them just to get by.

That’s the reality that I think the Occupy movement represents. Everyone has a different story, yes, but in the end we’re all the same if we don’t have control over our economic lives.

The “not the 99%” guy is as much at risk as anyone else. Just because he doesn’t feel it now doesn’t mean he won’t be affected by it if things don’t change.

I love my country deeply and I’m okay with market capitalism as a concept. Canada is still doing pretty well compared to the US and Europe. I’m not a communist, I’m not a revolutionary, I’m not a unionist. I’m just an ordinary young woman (admitting that I am more privileged than most) who feels less and less in control of her future. I work freelance and apply for jobs and do my best to be a productive member of society. I pay my taxes and don’t expect the government to make me live. I’d rather make a living on my own, thank you.

I want to feel in control of my life and provide for myself and my future family. This is why I’m headed downtown today.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Life, Thoughts, Work

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s